20 August 2006

Back home

The trip was quite nice, except for the getting there and comming back part.
We had 3 flights each direction, and our first flight was late, which caused us to miss the other two flights. Fortunately they arranged an acceptable replacement, and we were delayed only two hours in total.
When we came back, we didn't miss any flight, although I will never again fly with Air France. Even if they pay me to fly with them. The flight was delayed for more than 1 hour because of their inability to count the passangers. They thought they were missing someone, but when they counted for the 4th time, they realized they didn't miss anyone. I guess they should get some abacus or something.

One other problem was that I couldn't smoke in or betwqeen the first two flights, which made me extremly irrated. I had a nicotine withdrawal, and I tried to eat some tabacco, which helped a little, but not quite enough. Next time I will get some nicotine patches or something.

We went to the Black Sea, and the weather was pretty nice, but I was a little bit dissapointed because it was way too crowded. Next year, I will go to some different place.
We also went and visited 'Dracula's castle', which would be the Bran Castle. It has nothing to do with Dracula, but hey, who am I to disagree with the Western Mythology?
On that trip we visited some old fortress as well, where I managed to drop my cellphone and it got fucked in the process (the screen cracked :/)
I will not get a PDA/Cellphone hybrid again, because you can break two toys at once. If it were only a cellphone, it would have survived the drop, but because it was a PDA with a touchscreen, the screen cracked, due to not being properly enforced.

Now that we are home, we have to work on EL, as usually. I hope to get this update done as soon as possible, and have to see if the sound bug has finally been fixed or not.
One other thing I have to do is move the website, because our host complained that our forums take way too much CPU time, so we have to get a dedicated server. Our game host suggested us a dedicated hosting service in France, which is about 50 USD/month, with totally unlimited transfer. I don't think we can get any better offer than that.
And speaking of servers, we will more than likely get a dual P4 Xeon 3 Ghz for the game server, but will have to see how much it will cost. Hopefully less than 1K USD (that's a scrap machine that someone is throwing away).

Later on I will post some nice pictures of our trip.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Way to go. Last problems with forums proves that some changes are more than needed. I'm looking forward to see the new server hardware as well.

22/8/06 09:53  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just a pointer, http://jvds.com provide great Virtual Private Server (VPS) solutions. You'll get a UML kernel (not so bad), but you get a choice of distro (debian, centos or fedora) or BSD (if you go the *NIX root) and of course, root access - this may be a downside for you though as it'll mean administering your own web server. They also have unlimited bandwidth solutions at less then what the French guys are offering you.

Anyhow, good to see things are on the up, welcome back :)

/Placid

22/8/06 13:49  
Blogger Radu said...

How the hell is that cheaper, when it's like 65 USD for 80 GB of transfer??

22/8/06 16:00  

Post a Comment

<< Home